Holloway大厅1925

真正的学术优秀传统

校园的历史

From a “normal school” for teachers to challenging the next generation to "Make Tomorrow Yours," Salisbury University has been setting success in motion for the Eastern Shore and beyond since 1925.

“师范学校”的创建

The Salisbury University story began with a state in need. In 1921, a study showed Maryland’s existing higher education infrastructure was not adequately meeting the demand for teachers in the state’s rural areas. 第二年, the Maryland Legislature sought to remedy this by founding a new “normal school” (a two-year college for elementary school teachers) in one of the state’s most rural areas: the Eastern Shore.

A commission selected a site near Salisbury, breaking ground in 1923. Under the supervision of its first president, former Salisbury High School principal Dr. 威廉J. Holloway, the new State Normal School opened its doors on September 7, 1925, with 105 students. 他们学会了, slept and dined in a single building (now Holloway Hall) and even taught young students there in an early “demonstration school.”

不仅仅是教师

在十年内, the phrase “normal school” had become outdated and the campus was rechristened Maryland State Teachers College in 1934. 到那时, students and faculty had branched out beyond general classroom activities, 建立了运动协会的, 学校管弦乐团和Sophanes戏剧俱乐部. In 1931, the two-year teaching curricula became a three-year plan, 1935年,, President Jefferson Blackwell received approval of a new four-year curriculum with an emphasis on liberal arts, 第一次颁发理学学士学位.

Additional academic expansion took place in 1947 and 1960, as more four-year programs were offered in the arts and sciences. In 1962, the Maryland Board of Trustees approved the offering of master’s programs. 在这个时代, 校园也扩大了物理规模, 随着第一个男子宿舍的增加, 沿着维克米克霍尔, in 1951; a stand-alone demonstration school (later Caruthers Hall) in 1955; Blackwell Library (now Blackwell Hall) in 1957; and the college’s first gymnasium in 1961.

海鸥的崛起

With its academic program having expanded beyond teacher education, 校园于1963年重新命名, 成为索尔兹伯里州立学院. In 1948, students had selected the “Golden Gulls” (often abbreviated as just “Gulls”) as the school’s mascot in a Student Government Association Contest. 用校园的新名字, 吉祥物也得到了升级, borrowing the last letter in “SSC” to become the “Sea Gulls.” In 1966, it was personified by a caricature of a muscular seagull. By the 1970s, that character would go by the name Sammy Sea Gull.

那十年成为校园的黄金时代, during which many programs and amenities still enjoyed today were established. These include several varsity athletics teams, the campus radio station, 的传单 学生报纸和SSC(现在的SU)基金会,Inc. The college also continued its physical growth in the ’60s and ’70s, 新建筑包括一座新的科学大楼, Devilbiss大厅, in 1967; its first co-ed residence hall, Choptank大厅, in 1972; East Campus athletic fields in 1976; and Maggs Physical Activities Center in 1977.

在东海岸捐赠遗产

The 1980s saw an emphasis on academics with a growing Honors Program and new collaborative partnerships with nearby University of Maryland Eastern Shore. A groundswell of philanthropic support bolstered those initiatives and more with the establishment of the Franklin P. 1986年,Richard A. Henson School of Science and Technology in 1988, and Charles R. 和玛莎N. 1989年毕业于富尔顿文科学校. 塞缪尔·W. 和玛丽莲·C. Seidel School of Education and Professional Studies followed in 1997.

有了这些新学校, 南卡学院不仅仅是一所大学, and the name was changed once again to Salisbury State University in 1988. The field hockey team earned the campus’ first NCAA Division III team championship in 1986, paving the way for over 20 more in field hockey and men’s and women’s lacrosse through the next three decades and beyond. The 1980s and ’90s brought other opportunities to the university, 也, with the establishment of its Student 研究 Conference (SU also has twice hosted the National Conference on Undergraduate 研究), 学生创业比赛, 海鸥世纪自行车之旅, 爱德华·H. Nabb德尔马瓦历史和文化研究中心, and Delmarva Public Radio; new buildings including the University Center (now Guerrieri Student Union) in 1988 and Fulton Hall in 1992; and affiliations with organizations such as the Salisbury Symphony Orchestra and Ward Museum of Wildfowl Art.

展望未来

In 2001, the campus officially became known as Salisbury University. A proud member of the University System of Maryland since 1988, 亚利桑那州立大学继续扩大其学术课程, 以及它的物理足迹. 这个世纪, 新建筑,如亨森科学大厅, 康威大厅, Perdue大厅, 海鸥广场, 海鸥体育场和帕特里夏R. Guerrieri Academic Commons have changed Salisbury’s skyline. 与此同时, new initiatives have helped make SU a national leader in sustainability and public engagement, 同时注重多样性等领域, 留学和学生生活为许多人打开了大门.

In 2012, SU开始了第一个博士项目, 护理实践博士学位, 2014年获得教育学博士学位. The SU Honors College was founded in 2016 and renamed the Glenda Chatham and Robert G. Clarke Honors College in 2020 in honor of its endowing benefactors. The College of Health and Human Services was created in 2018 in response to workforce needs. 今天, / 8,700 students from more than 30 states and 60 foreign countries study over 40 undergraduate and nearly 20 graduate degree programs on a campus with over 90 buildings and more than 200 acres. SU consistently is ranked among the top universities in the nation by U.S. 新闻 & 世界报道《pg电子》等.

Since those first 105 students attended their first class in the campus’ lone building in 1925, 苏大在规模上有了巨大的增长, 地位和声誉. 就像它的整个历史一样, 然而, the university continues to adapt to meet the emerging needs of its students, 社区, 以及整个州和民族.

pg电子的名称

  • 马里兰州出版物保管所
  • U.S. 政府精选文件存放处
  • 美国植物园和树木园协会